The 1922 school building is a typical country school and served the children from first through eighth grade. At one time there were numerous country schools in Big Horn County, but as roads became better, the schools were closed and more and more students rode buses to the larger schools. This building was moved to the museum in 1983 from the St. Xavier area.
The school offered a fully equipped classroom with a blackboard, book shelves and desks of assorted sizes in order to accommodate students of different ages and grade levels. Some schools provided living quarters for the teacher or she lived in the home of one of her pupils.